Aluminum is a neurotoxin which is the cause of Alzheimer's and Autism. Silica has been shown to prevent Alzheimer's as silica binds with Aluminum so it can be removed from your body.
This recipe is in my books:
Prevent Alzheimer's, Autism and Stroke with 7 Supplements, 7 Lifestyle Choices and a Dissolved Mineral
Silica Water the Secret of Healthy Blue Zone Longevity in the Aluminum Age.
The books are available on Amazon. Buy books
Video -How to make your own silica water
Recipe for 'Silicade' water (silicon 36.5 mg/L) which has about the same amount of silica as Fiji water (silicon 36.5 mg/L). This will take 15 minutes to prepare.
Sodium Silicate powder - Chemical Store and Z chemicals online
Sodium Bisulfate - from amazon: Professor Fullwood of LoudWolf Limited
Measuring spoon - dash, smidgen, pinch - Nopro 3016D from Dine
· Note: in the early 2000’s some companies, such as Norpro and Dine, began defining and accurately calibrating the dash and smidgen measuring spoons as precise fractions of a teaspoon. Do not use antique dash and smidgen measuring spoons as they may not be correctly calibrated.
Recipe for Silicade
Making silicon rich water weekly at home is easy and much less expensive and more sustainable than purchasing water bottled in Fiji or Malaysia. I call this water “Silicade”. Silicade provides dissolved silica to keep your body-burden of aluminum under control. Silicade preparation requires only two ingredients and a set of small measuring spoons that are all easy to purchase online and have shipped to your home. Silicade can be stored indefinitely in the dark like Fiji water. The chemicals to make Silicade store well and should be kept out of children’s reach:
- Low Alkalinity Sodium Silicate Hydrous: a powder available from Chemical Store Online. The powder is safer and easier to measure than the liquid form and has a purity of 99.5% with a ratio of SiO2 to Na2O of 3.22 (Na2O=19.2%, SiO2=61.8%) and a water of hydration to SiO2 ratio of 1.0. Only order “sodium silicate – low alkalinity”. Do not order “sodium silicate – alkaline” from the Chemical Store. Chemical store link
- Sodium Bisulfate: a white powder 99.5% pure of micro-prills (i.e. very small pellets) from Professor Fullwood of LoudWolf Ltd. is available from Amazon. Note that both optional calcium chloride and magnesium sulfate are available from the same source.
- Mini Measuring Spoon Set: Norpro 3061D from Dine Company Online.
Currently priced under $4 without shipping. Three measuring spoons come
attached to a single ring. Only the dash and smidgen are used for Silicade
preparation. In order to avoid accidental use of the wrong measuring
spoon, remove the pinch from the ring. The measuring spoons will tarnish and this is not a problem.Note: in the early 2000’s some companies, such as Norpro and Dine, began defining and accurately calibrating the dash and smidgen measuring spoons as precise fractions of a teaspoon. Do not use antique dash and smidgen measuring spoons as they may not be correctly calibrated.
- Spatula: Any small spatula with a straight-edge works to level the contents of the measuring spoons prior to addition.
By following these instructions you can easily prepare a gallon of Silicade:
1) A level dash and two level smidgens (3/16 of a teaspoon, 600mg. with 597mg as SiO2[NaO2]1/3.22 H2O (mw 88.66) of hydrous powdered sodium silicate is placed in a Pyrex glass measuring cup, suspended in 1/8 cup of tap water, brought to boiling in the microwave or on the stove, and boiled for 30sec. The powder contains 99.5% water soluble sodium silicate and 0.5% max. of water insoluble materials as required by the American Waterworks Standard B104-98 for adding sodium silicate to drinking water.
2) The hot water with dissolved sodium silicate is immediately diluted to one gallon (3.785 liters) with cold tap water resulting in a 1.29 mM/liter (124ppm) solution of pH 9.8 OSA.
3) One level dash (1/8 of a teaspoon, 0.83 gr, 6.9 mM) of sodium bisulfate is added to the solution of OSA and dissolved with stirring in order to acidify the solution to pH 4.0 to 5.0. Optionally, if tap water is more basic than pH 8.5, use a pH meter while slowly adding a little more sodium bisulfate in order to lower the pH to 4.0-5.0. Etekcity pH pen meter PH-2011 is a temperature compensated low cost pH meter available online. A pH 7.0 standard solution is recommended for periodic calibration of the pH meter.
4) The clear colorless acidic solution of OSA is further purified by filtering through a Brita pitcher style filter (i.e. OB03) resulting in OSA at a pH of 4.4.
5) Two level smidgens of sodium bicarbonate (a.k.a. baking soda) are added and dissolved with stirring in the gallon of filtered OSA, resulting in Silicade with a pH of 6.5, a TDS of 285 at 25oC, and less than 2mcg/L labile aluminum. Each quart of Silicade contains 34mg of dissolved silicon as 117.3mg of monomeric (OSA).
6) Optionally make Silicade Plus Calcium, if tap water is low in calcium, add two level dashes of calcium chloride flakes or prills (840mg 36% calcium) 99% pure from Loudwolf/Amazon. This will increase the calcium level by 80mg per liter, the TDS to 450 at 25oC, and the pH to 6.6 in a gallon of Silicade + Ca. Labile aluminum in calcium enriched Silicade is less than 2mcg/L. It has been found that calcium at concentrations greater than or equal to 75mg/L have a significant protective effect on cognition461. Optionally add a heaping dash of magnesium sulfate to increase magnesium by 20mg/L.
7) Optionally make Sparkling Silicade - Carbonate Silicade resulting in pH 4.5 beverages.
Drink 3 to 4 cups of Silicade a day around meal times in order to provide a total of 25.5 to 34mg of silicon as monomeric OSA. This is 7.7 to 10.3 times the 3.3mg of silicon that when consumed as OSA per day was observed to lower the frequency of AD76. In the U.S. 160mg per liter of OSA (i.e. 100mg per liter of SiO2) is generally recognized as safe in drinking water462.
Why This Recipe Works
Why This Recipe Works
The goal of this recipe for orthosilicic acid (OSA) in drinking water is to use an easily measured solid silica powder and an acidic microprill that are commercially available online and shipped to anyone, not just chemical laboratories. Both of these chemicals are high purity (e.g. 99.5%).
- Solubilize and hydrolyze sodium silicate to OSA: Boiling powdered sodium silicate for 30 seconds in an eighth of a cup of tap water keeps the pH high enough (e.g. pH = 13) to solubilize and hydrolyze 99.5% to monomeric OSA and short silica polymers463-465.
- Neutralize and prevent re-polymerization of OSA: In order to prevent OSA re-polymerization, immediately dilute the basic (e.g. pH=13) OSA solution to a gallon with tap water. To render the solution non-hazardous, acidify the solution to pH 4.0 to 5.0 with the solid acid sodium bisulfate. A 1.29mM OSA solution is well below OSA’s saturation level in water (e.g. 2-3mM) but requires 7 days to fully stabilize rising from 108ppm immediately after preparation to 124ppm417. Polymerization of OSA has been observed at neutral pH only well above OSA’s saturation level (i.e. 42mM)453,464,465.
- Remove Aluminum: For optimal aluminum removal acidify the OSA solution to pH 4.0 to 5.0 and then filter through a Brita pitcher style filter (OB03)417. A significant portion (e.g. 98.5%) of the labile aluminum introduced in tap water is removed416,417. This Brita filter is a combined activated carbon and cation exchange resin that removes cations like aluminum but does not remove OSA417. If the tap water used for Silicade is between pH 6.5 to 8.5, as per EPA’s secondary drinking water standard, then after acidification, filtration, and bicarbonate addition Silicade will be pH 6.5.
- Optionally add Calcium and/or Magnesium: Have your tap water checked and if it is low in calcium and/or magnesium, add supplemental calcium and/or magnesium to Silicade. The Brita filter reduces calcium and magnesium in Quabbin tap water by one half416. Drinking water with calcium at levels of 80mg/L and magnesium at levels of 20mg/L has been found to be optimal for good health466. This may be due to calcium and magnesium competing with aluminum for absorption by the gut451. Calcium catalyzes the polymerization of OSA but only at pH greater than 8467,468. Silicade + Ca is pH 6.6 and at this pH OSA in Silicade + Ca is primarily a non-polymeric monomer417.
- Short Recipe for SilicadeIngredients needed:· Sodium Silicate· Sodium Bisulfate· Baking Soda (sodium bicarbonate)Tools needed:· Dash measuring spoon = 1/8 tsp· Smidgen measuring spoon = 1/32 tsp· 1 cup Pyrex measuring cup· 1 gallon measuring container· Brita filter - pitcher style· Spatula for leveling· Stirring utensilSteps:1. Add 1 level dash & 2 level smidgens of sodium silicate to a one-cup Pyrex container2. Add 1/8 cup of tap water to the one-cup Pyrex measuring container3. Heat the contents of the Pyrex measuring cup to boiling and boil for at least 30 seconds4. Dilute immediately with a small amount of unheated tap water5. Pour all the contents of the Pyrex measuring cup into a 1 gallon container6. Fill the 1 gallon container with unheated tap water to the 1 gallon mark on the container7. Add 1 level dash of sodium bisulfate to the one gallon container8. Stir the mixture thoroughly and then filter the mixture through a Brita filter pitcher9. After filtering, add 2 level smidgens of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to the mixture10. Stir Silicade to dissolve the baking soda11. Enjoy the health benefits of drinking Silicade!Silicade can be stored indefinitely in the dark at room temperature or in a refrigerator.